Friday, November 11, 2005

Your Meat May Be My Poison

According to many, the Calstar 760L is the best all round bottom bashing rod that exists on the face of this universe. I hear that it is practically indestructible! One of my friend swears by it and has brought up 80 kg ray on this rod. I have resisted the calstar temptation for 2 years primarily because I am a 2-piece rod devotee. This year in September, I abandoned my faith and customized for myself a 760L cropped to 5' 6''. It looks good particularly with my name engraved on it. Excitedly, I took it to Tanjong Pinang for it's first flirt with the creatures of the deep. I did not catch anything huge but I was really disappointed with the performance of the rod; I don't like the way it bends, it is too 'parabolic'. It lacks the stiffness and possibly the lifting power that I am so accustomed to in Japanese jigging rods. I may be a lonely voice in the sea of calstar followers but it is my rod and I am giving it up to the second hand market. I don't keep that which I don't use.


category: tackle talk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

to me the only "weakness" of this rod is: It is a 1 PC rod. But I believe that is also exactly its strenght! funny isn't it?

I'm not border by the parabolic bend.. I rate it a better rod than my Penn. but given a choice I don't want a 1 PC rod any more..

Hope you sell it for a good price.

Henry Koh said...

The rod is sold for a reasonable good price. There were many people interested in it, Calstar has many devotees ..