Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Most Important Lesson In Bottom Fishing

I have fished intensively for 2 over years and the most important lesson I have learnt is how to react to a fish bite. The human tendency is to strike or pull in the opposing direction of the fish bite with the intent of setting the hook. I have now learnt that this is not the best reaction.

The best reaction is to go against human impulse and that is to dip the rod and slack the line for a second or two before striking. I found this to be extremely difficult to do initially, it is just so anti human nature. But building the right reflex action has paid off, I believe I have better hook-up rate resulting from the re-conditioning of this reflex action. Try it!

category: fishy techniques

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Henry,

My name is Joon, and I fished with Frank and Louis before :)

What you have suggest is to make sure the hook is set properly on the mouth of the fish, when you strike it with your rod action.

What is the hook used is a circle hook ? If I am not wrong circle hook you don't need to do that.

:)

Henry Koh said...

I think even when using circle hooks it may help to dip the rod because some fish species may just be nibblers and resistance may cause them to abandon the bait. I guess the difference here is not to strike with circle hooks. Anyway, it is just my view and I have also caught many fishes just by putting the rod on the rod holder. Fishes are like women, their behavior varies and are affected by the weather ... haha