Monday, October 24, 2005

Hooked For Good

Fishing can be and is for me all consuming. It is like narcotic, it literally hooks you and the prospect for escape is rather bleak.

Now when I planned a family holiday, I try to find a destination that allows me to smuggle in some fishing. When I visit the supermarket I tour the fish display and try to identify the fishes. On last count I spent more than 50% of my annual leave on fishing trips. I have also spent more money on fishing related gears and activities than all my other past and presence hobbies combined. Notice that no dollar value is given here – just in case my wife is reading this. My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for. And last night I dreamt of a rod tip bending and I woke up in excitement.

When I first started fishing, my wife saw the enthusiasm and the glow in my eyes and she thought that I was having an affair. She now realized through strategic communication on my part that fishing is ‘hubby safe’. I used to tell her that most anglers are men and occasionally you do have some female anglers but they all look like man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said indeed, my dear friend.

The joy of fishing is about doing it and sharing it.

Happy to see you start a blog to share your 'addiction'.

Henry Koh said...

You are right, it is an addiction. I tried cold-turkey once by selling my gears and I failed miserably. The end result is unadulterated misery and monetary loss.