Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Mighty Gust

As indicated in an earlier posting, I'm hopelessly addicted to fishing. Now I find myself also hopelessly addicted to this fishing blog. I just, as in less than half an hour ago, came back from a fishing trip and I'm here posting this catch report. I like to think of it as passion and not addiction.

Anyway, last evening five of us took off from west coast and headed for a spot about 2 hours away. We arrived early to wait for the turning tide. And true enough when the tide turned a beautiful golden snapper of about one half kg was landed. Just when everybody was excited and waiting in anticipation of that characteristic snapper pull, the north east wind blew. It blew and blew itself into a fury, the anchor slipped, we were all wet and swells of one to three metres came. It was frightening for me, I never knew that this could happen in local water. We were forced to seek shelter near an island and the passage to the sheltered water was tedious, slow, rocky and grossly uncomfortable. It took more than an hour just to find calm water. The rest of the night saw light rain and lots of catfish, small rays and some eels.

This is for Francis - I did not take photos, no anti-shake will suffice in that situation, I was shaking too.

Now for that badly needed bath ...


category: catch report

4 comments:

Henry Koh said...

the squall must have been unlocked by the snapper we caught :), anyway it was a small chartered boat that we used, don't really know how big the boat is, kind of bad in estimating things like this but it is definitely wooden.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are safe. I read an article in fishing mag last nite, the author recount an incident abt 2 angler was throw off the boat by the wave, luckly they wore life jacket and the boat circle for 10 min before locate them...

so my friend on the bright side at least you checked out the place.

Anonymous said...

My friend, so when's our turn to go to that spot??? (sorry cos I dun care about weather...heheheh..) cheers.....Daryl

Henry Koh said...

Daryl, I'm traveling on the 16/12 and will be back on the 21/12 and traveling again on the 25/12 so how to go? It looks like the 10/12 will be my last trip for the year. See you on Saturday and maybe we could work out something ..