Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Gears Are Ego Extension

Sometimes I wander why like many other anglers, I suffer from a compulsive obsession for gears and gears and gears. Do I really need an Ishida or a Blue Heavan?

I think it is an ego thingy. Just like cars, rods and reels are psychological extension of a man's penis. I'm sure Freudian believers would have a field day with this.

In contrast, nature's way seems functional and simplistic but it does have its own brand of beauty and elegance.

My new philosophy for this season - buy less and fish more!

category: fishy feelings, tackle talk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

..."rods and reels are psychological extension of a man's penis."....

Ha ha ha! I like that statement. Just wondering should I use a Fuji guides to go with it... May be tackle shops should start selling manhood enlargement drug too… Hmm...

I think the other reason is that most angler don't border to find out the capability/limits of their gears, so they keep upgrading it just in case it fails to perform when hook up "the fish of their life time".

We just got to change our mindset to accept losing a fish is part n parcel of fishing. In fact those fishes that getaway linger on in our mind way longer then those in our stomach…

Henry Koh said...

Well said Francis. Yours obviously don't need an extension. I like your minimalist attitude and practices. Stick to the Avet, it's good enough.